Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sorrowful loan recipients


A Malaysian student who received a PTPTN (National Higher Education Fund Corporation) loan of RM39,000, three years ago, for undergraduate studies which was successfully completed in Malaysia.
Soon after receiving a degree, an application to the corporation for a deferment of the loan repayment was made. As the student had been accepted to pursue a one-year master’s programme at the University of Southampton, United Kingdom (UK).
"My father had agreed to financially support me while I applied for a JPA (Jabatan Perkhidmatana Awan or Public Services Department) scholarship for the master’s programme" said the student.
However, recently the corporation wanted the student to start paying back for the loan since it was already six months after graduation.
"This is truly disappointing. My father now has to dip into his savings to pay not only for my master’s degree, but also for the loan. Surely the corporation can give in to my request considering the fact that my master’s programme is only for a year. It is also disregarding its own guidelines by expecting me to pay even before I am gainfully employed" said the student.
The corporation’s website regarding the eligibility to apply for deferment of PTPTN education loan repayment states that: “Only borrowers who have completed their studies and are still unemployed (without an income) or who are continuing their studies on a full-time basis can apply for deferment.”

No comments:

Post a Comment